On 24-Oct-2020, during our family prayer, we were reading from Luke 20. Suddenly God was highlighting verse 20 from that. I did not understand much about that. But yesterday God reminded it again and I started meditating about it again. This notes is about the revelation from that verse.
And they watched him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the governor – Luke 20:20
Here, we can see 4 characters or entities.
- They -> The enemy => Satan
- Spies -> The people who are working for the enemy/Satan.
- He -> Jesus => The body of Christ.
- Governor -> Government/Local Authority/Rulers
If you see the direct opponents are “the enemy” and “the body of Christ”. And other 2 characters/entities are used in between to get an advantage or to plot a scheme. When we understand this word, then we can understand how much real is the spiritual warfare. Now if we remember Ephesians 6:12,
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. – Ephesians 6:12
The principalities, powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world and the spiritual wickedness in high places; all these things are the invisible, powerful, confusion infusing administration of the wicked one, Satan.
Before going further we will also understand the 4th character in our list, which is the “governor” or “the local authority”. This is a governing body ordained by God to take care of the law and order on the earth. If we remember Romans 13, we can understand that, all the powers/authority are ordained by God. In 1 Timothy 2:2, it was written that we must pray for the leaders, government and authorities. Now, if you look at the local authority or a government, they must be in compliance with two main things.
- The constitution: The rules and rights of the people of the land.
- The Law: The legal matters to keep the law and order of the land.
So we can understand by common sense, the authority or government must work in compliance to these two pillars. Or within the boundary of these two pillars.
Now, if the enemy want to do anything to the body of Christ legally, on this earth, it has to go through the local authority/government. So, that is the reason why the kingdoms and rules matter in the history of mankind. And that is the reason why the prophecies came w.r.t the kingdoms and rulers.
Now, let’s check who are these spies. if you observe the verse Luke 20:20 the qualities of the spies are as below.
- They feign themselves just men: This is their outward appearance. The words they speak, the arguments they bring are just part of their acting.
- They take hold of his words: The primary way of their play is to find the words. Their focus is on the words during the arguments and gather them carefully.
- They will deliver unto the authority: The ultimate goal is to attack using these words through the authority. So, no escape.
The spies portray themselves as the embodiment of moral and ethical uprightness and come to the body of Christ to have a conversation or an argument with clever points to craftily pick the words and pull into legal consequences. If you observe the current affairs all over the world, this is the common thing how the world operates. Find something to corner and finish. The spies here can be many things including systems and people, but with a common agenda which is against the “body of Christ”. When I say body of Christ, it is not the church building or group I am talking about, but the fellowship of the faith in the Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. Irrespective of the denomination, all those who believes and practices the word of God in their lives are the members of the body of Christ. So the enemy can attack the body of Christ in the following ways –
- Faith:Challenges the faith and practices of worship.
- Citizenship: Challenges the allegiance to the constitution and the law of the land, with the help of craftily prepared cases.
- Society: Challenges the amiability with others, when we refrain to join few practices or customs.
- Workplace: Challenges the open display of our faith in the disguise of professionalism and opens doors to the flesh and world.
- Education: Challenges the existence of God through the academic and philosophical thinking and brainwashing.
So, the warfare of a believer is not just for getting the right of propagating the gospel and gather in a place to worship and preach. But to live the life of a believer in compliance to the word of God and bring up the next generation in the word of God. If we observe the things around us, we are sure the schemes of enemy are so visible, when you understand the scripture of the God. Now, being a believer, we need to understand our authority, rights and position with respect to the heavenly government.
This is a short but the most important revelation by the Holy Spirit yesterday. It helped me to visualize the things in a different and most practical way to understand the schemes of the enemy. We need to pray together for the wisdom and knowledge for the believers to engage actively in the spiritual warfare. May God provide us His leading in all the necessary ways, Amen!